Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Baked porcelain mugs

Sooooooooo I have had this idea for a while now and procrastinated for too long (seemingly a current trend of late - which I'm using my best efforts to diminish) to try it out and especially when I saw all the creative ways and ideas in which one can do this. You can paint quotes, designs, pics, words, anything really..... and not only on a mug, but on bowls, plates, .....again.... anything! So yeah, all I needed was a "sharpie" (or a porcelain pen rather) Sharpie is a universal brand but apparently not the best in the market or on the shelf so to speak. So I went with the craft store owner's recommendation and bought the pen... just needed a mug, and I was set....

Having got home I realised I had an old porcelain mug that I wanted to test it on first to see how well it works. I'm not entirely sure why a R16 brand new mug for testing wasn't test worthy enough, but I thought - the more chances I get - the merrier, that I'm strange... there's nothing up for debate there.

So while I still need to make the actual one.... my pre-test one is done. My cursive needs a little work, although real handwriting has a certain appeal when it comes to printing on something... ... and also I need to get a steady hand if I wanna get anywhere near good.......Here are the ridiculously easy steps I followed............

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Wipe down your porcelain mug and make sure it's dry before writing/drawing/stenciling
3. Get creative with the porcelain pen (leave to dry for an hour)
4. Pop mug/dish into the oven and "bake" for 30 minutes.
5. Remove
6. ADMIRE your creation :)


PS - don't use in dishwashers (rumour has it - but for sharpies - so perhaps a redundant warning for me)
     - don't wash same day you baked your dish of choice (sounds like food haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment